THE LATEST
« »

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Griper Blade: In the Iraqi Civil War, Our Side Has Been Chosen For Us

I doubt whether any serious person thought that the execution of Saddam Hussein would have any positive effect for Iraq. I've run into one or two people who claim that it removes hope any 'dead-enders' may harbor of re-installing him. That 'dead-ender' line is propaganda, about two years old and way past its expiration date. As I said, no serious person. One of those who told me this also sincerely asserted that Saddam Hussein planned to take over the world. I guess you don't have to have a clue to have an opinion.

Shortly after Hussein's death was announced, violence increased in Iraq. Again, no big surprise for the reality-based. Any excuse for a party, I guess. But the later cell phone video of the hanging shows not a state execution, but a lynching, no matter how legal. It makes the current iraqi government seem partisan, the executioners look like goons, and Saddam look like a martyr. If this is the future of Iraq, it's no better than it was under Hussein...

[CLICK TO READ FULL POST]

Tags: | | | | |

Search Archive:

Custom Search