THE LATEST
« »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Griper Blade: Vote McCain, Re-Elect Lobbyists

Sometimes I think I need to work on my headlines. I pretty much wait until I've finished the post, then wonder what the hell I'm going to call it. I went through and tagged some posts and articles last night about an op-ed written by the McCain-Palin team (or, as it's being marketed by that side, Palin-McCain) and signed off on by the candidates. Their title -- or maybe it's the headline the Wall Street Journal editorial staff gave it -- is "We'll Protect Taxpayers From More Bailouts." You kind of get the feeling that someone suggested an exclamation point, but that was voted down as being too much.

Think Progress has a better headline. In fact, it's so dead on that you almost don't have to read the post. "McCain Op-Ed: Lobbyists Like My Campaign Manager Are 'Primary Contributors' To Fannie-Freddie Crisis." I guess "I'll protect you from me" was still a little too vague.

Palin's name is on the op-ed mostly because she's become a crutch for McCain. She's not especially knowledgeable when it comes to the housing crisis. Speaking of headlines, Sam Stein explains the problem in a piece titled "Palin Makes Her First Gaffe":

Gov. Sarah Palin made her first potentially major gaffe during her time on the national scene while discussing the developments of the perilous housing market this past weekend.

Speaking before voters in Colorado Springs, the Republican vice presidential nominee claimed that lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had "gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

Economists and analysts pounced on the misstatement, which came before the government had spent funds bailing the two entities out, saying it demonstrated a lack of understanding about one of the key economic issues likely to face the next administration.


In this case, I've got the better headline, "Sarah Palin Doesn't Know Her Fannie Mae From A Hole In The Ground."...

[CLICK TO READ FULL POST]

Search Archive:

Custom Search