THE LATEST
« »

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And the Award for Most Insane Fearmongering Goes to...

Arizona Republican Rep. John Shadegg really brings the crazy:



A partial transcript, from Media Matters:

SHADEGG: I saw the Mayor of New York said today, "We're tough. We can do it." Well, Mayor, how are you going to feel when it's your daughter that's kidnapped at school by a terrorist? How are you going to feel when it's some clerk -- some innocent clerk of the court -- whose daughter or son is kidnapped? Or the jailer's little brother or little sister? This is political correctness run amok.


Is this some weird crystal ball gazing on your part or is that a threat, John? It's not extremely clear. You seem to be saying that the most obvious and logical outcome for a terrorism trial in New York City is to have the Mayor's daughter kidnapped. Since this isn't exactly so obvious and logical to anyone else on the planet, it kind of comes across as a threat. If anyone goes missing here, I suggest the first place we look is in John Shadegg's toolshed.

When I say that Shadegg brings the crazy, I'm backed up by whatever robot determines the "related videos" on YouTube. If you liked Shadegg's fearmongering idiocy, you might also enjoy "Crazy," by Aerosmith, "Crazy," by Gnarls Barkley, or "(You Drive Me) Crazy," by Britney Spears.


UPDATE: Talking Point Memo reports that Shadegg has apologized for the statement, in a sort of "have your cake and eat it too" way.

"I apologize for the insensitivity of my remarks with respect to the mayor or his family," he said, "however I think it is important to note that this decision involves potential risk to innocent people."

In other words, "I'm sorry I said something that was totally accurate."

Search Archive:

Custom Search