THE LATEST
« »

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stories to Watch: 10/21/10

The guys working on my street finally laid blacktop today and I'm back in the civilized world again. Everyone's lawn still looks like a war zone, but you take your gains where you find them. Now here's the news...


NPR's Juan Williams gets fired for telling Bill O'Reilly, "Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous." For the record, any statement that begins "I'm not a bigot, but..." is really heading into bad idea territory.

In response, Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee stake out the pro-bigot position, arguing that NPR's federal funding should be cut. Two points here: 1) ain't never gonna happen and 2) NPR gets 5.8% of it's funding from federal, state, and local funding (about 2% from the feds) -- so that wouldn't leave much of a mark. If you really want to make a statement here, shoot your local station a few bucks. Maybe you can score a tote bag.

Don't worry about Juan, though. FOX News is giving him $2 million to keep saying stupid stuff.


Dem turnout is strong in early voting. "If people thought the Democrats were just going to roll over and play dead in this election, that's not what we're seeing," Michael McDonald, a George Mason University professor watching ealry voting told CBS News. "They've got to be feeling a little bit better with the numbers that they're seeing." Still, Pew says Republicans still have the advantage. President Obama plans hot and heavy GOTV rallies up until election night. Of course, Dick Armey says all this early voting is by dems committing voter fraud.


Once again, polling shows that dem attacks on GOP "dark money" have got people's attention.


Sarah Palin is really hard to work with.


You know who has a really crappy health insurance plan for employees? Al Qaeda.


Finally, Talking Points Memo has an up-to-the-minute midterm election news wire. I don't know why more sites don't do this, because it is handy.

Search Archive:

Custom Search