THE LATEST
« »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

RIP Alex Chilton

No roundup today. Trimmed a tree in my mom's yard and it pretty much wiped me out. A saw on a pole is a terrible instrument of torture. Instead of funny, I bring you sad, with the news of the death of a real rock and roll hero last night.

Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Alex Chilton, the pop hitmaker, cult icon and Memphis rock iconoclast best known as a member of 1960s pop-soul act the Box Tops and the 1970s power-pop act Big Star, died Wednesday at a hospital in New Orleans.

The singer, songwriter and guitarist was 59.

"I'm crushed. We're all just crushed," said John Fry, owner of Memphis' Ardent Studios and a longtime friend of Chilton's. "This sudden death experience is never something that you're prepared for. And yet it occurs."


RIP Alex Chilton. I was actually listening to this while I sawed away at that tree:



For what it's worth, he gets recognition on the floor of the House of Representatives:



A tremendous loss.

Search Archive:

Custom Search